An automation is just a drip campaign (linear email sequences) until you start using Conditions.
Conditions let you segment your contacts based on their behavior and data:
- Opened an email,
- Clicked a link in an email,
- Has a Tag,
- Is on a List, or
- Custom fields.
These let you tailor and personalize your messaging based on the actions of your contacts.
IMPORTANT: For open and click conditions, always put a Wait period before the condition. You have to give some time for the contacts to do the action before checking whether they have done it or not.
Applying a condition in an automation will split it into 2 seperate branches.
You can apply as many conditions as you’d like.
Adding a Condition
In the Visual Automation Builder, click on the “+”, then choose “If/else”. (After setting up your trigger and the beginning of your Automation.)
This will take you to this window:
Here you can choose the type of condition you want. Let’s go through each option one-by-one.
A. Has opened an email:
You might want to segment the contacts whether they opened the previously sent email or not.
Click on “Has opened an email”:
This will bring up a window with all the previous emails in your Automation:
2. Select the email you want to track opens for then click “OK”.
You can continue building your Automation. People who opened the email will continue on the “yes” branch and people who didn’t will continue on the “no” branch.
Send an email, add a tag, or a waiting period. It’s up to you and your business goals.
B. Has clicked a link in an email
If you have a call-to-action button or even a simple link in your previously set email you might want to segment the contacts whether they clicked it or not. Here’s how to do it:
1. Select the option “Has clicked a link in email”.
2. This will bring up a window with all the previous emails in your Automation. Select the email you want to track clicks in, then click “NEXT”.
3. Next, choose the link you want to track as the condition. Simply check the box next to the links then go to “OK” and you can move on building your Automation.
Note: If you check more than 1 link, clicking on any of those links will move the contacts to the “yes” branch.
C. Contact has a Tag
You can also segment contacts by tags in Automations.
1. Click on the “Contact has a Tag”:
2. Then, this window will show up. Select the tag you want and click on “OK” and you are done.
If you want to track multiple tags, you have the option to move people to the “yes” branch if they have “ANY” or “ALL” of the tags you select. Simple use the drop-down menu at the top.
D. Contact is on a List
You can segment contacts inside Automations based on whether or not they are on a List.
1. Click on Contact is on a List
2. Then, this window will show up. Select the List you want and click on “OK” and you are done.
If you want to track multiple Lists, you have the option to move people to the “yes” branch if they have “ANY” or “ALL” of the tags you select. Simple use the drop-down menu at the top.
E. Contact custom field
You can segment contacts by their custom field values. Here’s how:
1. Click on Contact custom field.
2. Select a custom field.
For this example, we select “age”.
You can choose between options which are referring to the value in the box next to it.
Here you can see the condition which segments the contacts whether they are older than 20 or not. If it’s ready click “OK”.
This means that contacts with the age of 21 will continue on the “yes” branch and contacts below the age of 21 will continue on the “no” branch.
Take advantage of conditions to deliver a personalized experience to your contacts.